29 May 2013

The prison cell with no key

One of the main goals of our charity "You Have A Friend" is to educate students as to the fact not everyone is born with the same opportunities, no one was ever able to choose their parents and that greed is something we need to address.

Below is an essay written by a Year 6 student Will Fitzgibbons from a school who our charity has a great relationship with and who provide tinned food and clothing for the homeless each week. This is St. Anthony's Primary School in Kingscliff, NSW.

The essay by Will ---- enjoy
 
The Prison Cell with no key

You Look at me. I look at you. You quickly move away through the freezing mnight, hurrying to get back to your home, where you will be greeted by warmth and an inviting bed. I also quickly move through the freezing night to get back to my home, a few planks of wood and some cardboard, where I will still remain cold and only have a small blanket for warmth. I know you judge me for being homeless, but we are not that different.

Surviving as a homeless Australian means a harsh life; I am just one of 105,000 Australians that are homeless. I am forced to sleep in deplorable conditions; I poften find warmth at overcrowdede homes, some of which are dangerous to my health. I only live like this to survive; I feel pure hatred towards how I have to live. My only friends are others who are homeless, the ones who I meet when I go to get food at the charities who give it to me.

 Life is a day-to-day challenge for me. When I try to get a job my efforts are often in vain; there is a slim chance of getting hired if you have no address and practically no chance of getting an address if you have no job. This is why it is so hard for me to break the cycle of being homeless; I feel as though it’s a prison cell with no key.

Ther are many reasons why homelessness occurs; I myself was struggling to pay bills and trying in vain to dig myself out of my hole of financial worry. Others I know who are homeless suffer sever mental issues; others sleep on the streets because they are victums of domestic violence and family violence. It’s dreadfully hard to get a house when you don’t have money; besides, there aren’t many houses to go around. There are houses around that are vacant, but they are off limits as they can be harmful to my health and could give me terrible diseases.

Youth is very common in the homeless community I see it every day. It’s appalling that approximately 44,000 young people are homeless, they don’t deserve to be mistreated so much, and they don’t deserve to have to mature so quickly. It is a devastating truth that shows how homelessness can affest anyone; it concerns me that youth is such a common occurance with homeless people like me. I see so many who end up like this because of separation, being thrown out of home or simply being born into a homeless family. Those who I know of often couch surf (sleeping on friend’s couches) to have a warm and clean place to sleep.

As I lay in the cold I think to myself, “was it my fault.” But I know that if someone reached out I would be okay again. Then I see you again, you look at me. I look at you. You know who I am, I know who you are. It is because we are not that much different.

Written by Will Fitzgibbons


No comments:

Post a Comment